Create Your Own Gap
Gap's Fall Marketing Campaign Features Liv Tyler, Ginnifer Goodwin, Hugh Dancy, Sean Avery and Other Style Influencers
August 12, 2008 // Franchising.com // SAN FRANCISCO –– Gap has tapped a diverse group of actors and style makers to launch its fall collection, the first full collection designed by Gap head designer Patrick Robinson. The campaign, launching this week, features Liv Tyler, Ginnifer Goodwin, Hugh Dancy, Edgar Ramirez, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Melvil Poupaud, Clemence Poesy, Nate Parker, Joe Anderson, Georgina Chapman, Julia Restoin Roitfeld, Scott Schuman, Leigh Lezark, Sean Avery, David Benioff, Max Lugavere & Jason Silva, Cecilia Dean and Ryan McGinley.
Comprised of black and white images shot by acclaimed fashion photographer Mikael Jansson, the campaign features iconic pieces from Gap's fall collection worn in unique ways by each individual. Liv Tyler relaxes in the boyfriend cardigan, Scott Schuman (photographer and blogger for The Sartorialist) accessorizes the oxford shirt, and actor Clemence Poesy tops off the new low rise bell jean with a tailored wool blazer.
"What we love about this campaign is that it speaks very directly to the ideas of self-expression and individuality," said Ivy Ross, executive vice president of Gap Marketing. "'Create Your Own Gap' is about creating your own look through mixing and matching pieces that best represent you. It's about conveying who you are and what you stand for through what you wear."
To further bring the idea of creating your own individual style to life, the campaign features taglines built around the theme of "your own." Each individual in the campaign provided a handwritten response to various fill-in-the-blank taglines, offering even more of a glimpse into their personality and capturing the emotion of each image. Photographer Ryan McGinley wrote "Invent Your Own Images," Misshapes DJ Leigh Lezark wrote "Create Your Own Sound," and Max Lugavere and Jason Silva, producers and hosts of Current TV, remind us to "See Your Own ¬Ability to Change the World!"
Gap's New Fall Classics
Gap's fall collection is all about classic items redesigned for today – from a timeless trench or leather jacket, to the perfect v-neck t-shirt and pair of jeans. Must-have items for the season include:
- The Boyfriend Cardigan ($68), worn by Liv Tyler, Actor
- The Oxford ($44), worn by Ginnifer Goodwin, Actor
- The Low Rise Bell ($69.50), worn by Clemence Poesy, Actor
- The Deep V-Neck ($44), worn by Catalina Sandino Moreno, Actor
- The Leather Jacket ($298), worn by Leigh Lezark, DJ, The Misshapes
- The Perfect Trouser ($54.50), worn by Georgina Chapman, Marchesa Designer
- The Short-Sleeved Peacoat ($78), worn by Julia Restoin Roitfeld, Art Director
- The Classic Trench ($148), worn by Cecilia Dean, Co-Founder & Editor, Visionaire
- The Cord Blazer ($88), worn by Hugh Dancy, Actor
- The Quilted Bomber ($78), worn by Edgar Ramirez, Actor
- The Private Jacket ($78), worn by Melvil Poupaud, Actor
- The Waffle Crew ($39.50), worn by Nate Parker, Actor
- The Leather Private Jacket ($348), worn by Joe Anderson, Actor
- The Oxford ($39.50), worn by Scott Schuman, Photograher/Blogger, The Sartorialist
- The Classic V-Neck ($49.50), worn by Sean Avery, Professional Hockey Player
- The V-Neck ($39.50), worn by David Benioff, Novelist & Screenwriter
- The Low Rise Straight Jean ($78), worn by Max Lugavere & Jason Silva, Producers & Hosts of Current TV
- The Gap Original Khaki ($44.50), worn by Ryan McGinley, Photographer
The campaign was developed by Laird + Partners, Gap's creative agency, and will run in the September and October issues of national magazines including Vogue, Vanity Fair, Elle, Harper's Bazaar, InStyle, Interview, Paper, Nylon, GQ and Rolling Stone. It will also run in the New York Times and New York Post, and will be featured in Gap stores, online at gap.com and in outdoor elements, including billboards and bus shelters.
About Gap Inc.
Gap Inc. is a leading international specialty retailer offering clothing, accessories and personal care products for men, women, children and babies under the Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Piperlime brand names. Fiscal 2007 sales were $15.8 billion. Gap Inc. operates more than 3,100 stores in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, Ireland and Japan. In addition, Gap Inc. is expanding its international presence with franchise agreements for Gap and Banana Republic in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. For more information, please visit gapinc.com.