H&R Block Tax Franchise Anounces Procrastinators Beware Last-Minute Tax Filing Mistakes
KANSAS CITY, MO (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) - H&R Block warns procrastinators that rushing through tax preparation can cause slip-ups that hamper the tax return filing process, cause overpayments to the IRS or delay refunds.
The tax filing deadline is upon taxpayers, but they need to proceed with caution and RELAX with these five tips:
- Review - Make sure all the recordkeeping paperwork needed to prepare and file taxes is available, such as bank statements and receipts, also check W-2s and 1099s for accuracy
- Elect - Decide which preparation method best meets individual needs, whether do-it-yourself, with a tax professional or H&R Block Best of Both
- Lead (the pack) - If an online filing system rejects a return late on April 15, some procrastinators may miss the filing deadline - so lead the pack and file with time to spare
- Affirm - Be thorough and take advantage of all tax breaks that apply, such as the Making Work Pay Tax Credit, Homebuyer Credit, Child Tax Credit, American Opportunity Credit and Earned Income Credit
- Xtend - Taxpayers unable to file their taxes by April 15 should file an extension and make at least a partial payment, so they don't miss tax breaks, make other critical errors or subject themselves to failure-to-file penalties
Watch the procrastinators' checklist video for more information.
Media representatives interested in learning more about late-season tax topics can visit the H&R Block Tax Media Kit.
About H&R Block H&R Block Inc.
(NYSE: HRB) is the world's preeminent tax services provider, having prepared more than 500 million tax returns since 1955. In fiscal 2009, H&R Block had annual revenues of $4.1 billion and prepared more than 24 million tax returns worldwide, utilizing more than 100,000 highly trained tax professionals. The Company provides tax return preparation services in person, through H&R Block At Home(TM) online and desktop software products, and through other channels. The Company is also one of the leading providers of business services through RSM McGladrey.
SOURCE: H & R Block