Quiznos Extends Social Responsibility Standards to Supply Partners
New Supplier Code of Conduct Is One Facet of Company-Wide Commitment to Fair Working Conditions
DENVER, CO --(Marketwire) -
- Quiznos today published a Supplier Code of Conduct to expand upon social responsibility programs developed over the past two years. Guidelines for suppliers enforcing the company's policies are now available on the Quiznos website (Quiznos.com/social responsibility/).
- Quiznos suppliers have helped the company take steps toward addressing a wide range of ethical concerns including improving animal welfare and farm-worker conditions:
- Over the past two years, Quiznos has given preference to egg producers utilizing cage-free management systems and continues to evaluate opportunities to become more involved with the cause; the company plans to purchase at least 10 percent of its egg supply from cage-free producers within the next five years
- As part of the Supplier Code of Conduct, Quiznos is initiating a program for able suppliers to pay an additional penny per pound for Florida round tomatoes supplied to its U.S. restaurants
- Quiznos is dedicated to providing a quality working environment for its own employees and calls on its suppliers to honor the same practices by offering sound working conditions and proper notification to employees regarding company updates and policies. The new Supplier Code of Conduct takes a strong stance against any act of discrimination, child labor or forced and indentured labor.
- With the help of its suppliers, packaging at Quiznos has recently taken on a new look and feel by using more environmentally responsible materials. By updating items like its cups, plates, napkins -- and even uniforms -- Quiznos is working to minimize its impact on the environment and encourage other businesses to follow suit. Continuing its commitment to be more eco-friendly, Quiznos will be migrating all of its stores from plastic bags to recyclable paper bags next month.
- While Quiznos is making strides in animal rights, farm-worker conditions and green packaging, the company is constantly looking for opportunities to innovate and evolve its practices in every area of its business.
- Social responsibility at Quiznos extends beyond day-to-day practices at the supply-chain level to close involvement with nonprofit organizations around the world:
- Millennium Promise (www.millenniumpromise.org): Strives to end extreme poverty, hunger and preventable disease for families across rural communities in sub-Saharan Africa
- America's Road Home (www.americasroadhome.org): Promotes national efforts to end family homelessness in our lifetime
- Denver's Road Home (www.denversroadhome.org): Promotes local Denver efforts to end homelessness and restore hope for families in need
- CARE (www.care.org): Provides international family relief and sustainable health by tackling underlying causes of poverty
- "Creating unique plans with many of our suppliers has allowed Quiznos to address social issues in the communities we serve. Quiznos is committed to working with our suppliers to instill quality conditions in all aspects of our business." -- Curt Bourg, Quiznos EVP, Purchasing
- "Quiznos continues to work closely with partners across all segments of our business to maintain socially responsible practices and ensure that all people we work with are treated with dignity and care." -- Rick Schaden, Quiznos CEO
Please contact Kelly Pakula to arrange an interview.
Now in its 30th year, Denver-based Quiznos is a national chain designed for today's busy consumers who are looking for a tasty, freshly prepared alternative to traditional fast food restaurants. Using only premium quality ingredients, Quiznos' more than 4,000 restaurants offer creative, chef-inspired recipes for sandwiches, soups and salads.
CNN Money ranked Quiznos as the No. 2 most popular franchise in 2010. In 2009, Quiznos' Toasty Torpedoes earned a spot as one of the top 10 new product introductions from the Most Memorable New Product Launch Survey. Also in 2009, QSR Magazine ranked Quiznos No. 19 overall in its Top 50 Chains in system-wide sales. In October 2007, Quiznos was recognized for leading the QSR industry in wait time performance by the Mystery Shopping Providers Association's (MSPA) 2007 Wait Time Study. In May 2007, Zagat's consumer surveys listed Quiznos in the top 5 for Top Food, Top Facilities, Top Service and Top Overall, ahead of its direct competitors.