Quiznos Franchise Vows to Change the Way You Lunch
New "Lunch Report" From Quiznos Finds People Care Most About Cost, Taste, Type of Food and Convenience When Grabbing Lunch
DENVER, CO--(Marketwire - June 24, 2010) -
- Quiznos has never been afraid to make a bold statement.
- Debuting on the dining scene 30 years ago, Quiznos became the pioneer of the toasted sandwich and changed the way people thought about lunch. Quiznos uniquely combined the convenience of brown-bag lunches; the freshness, flavors and warmth of fine dining; and the speed and value of fast food -- to capture people's attention and loyalty.
- Thirty years later, Quiznos is still based on those same principles, and those principles have led the company to become one of the nation's premier quick service restaurant chains. Since its start in 1981 with just 12 subs, the Quiznos menu has expanded to offer an array of lunch options with more than 50 toasted subs, chopped salads, savory soups, Toasty Bulletsâ„¢, Toasty Torpedoes, Flatbread Sammies and more than 250 Choose 2 combinations. Plus, Quiznos is unveiling redesigned stores in neighborhoods across the country.
- Harris InteractiveÂ®, a market research firm, conducted an online survey on behalf of Quiznos of adults across the nation in February about lunch to capture the current consumer sentiment about the midday meal. Here's a closer look at the "Lunch Report" findings:
- Variety is a driving factor for consumers when choosing their lunch spot, with 75 percent of adults feeling more satisfied when having an array of menu options to choose from.
- People are busier than ever, with the majority of consumers taking 20 minutes or less for lunch (54 percent) and the most common description of consumers' lunch selection being "something fast/quick to make" (19 percent).
- Smart eating options are more important than ever. Calories and nutrition matter to 76 percent of adults when choosing what to eat for lunch.
- In today's economic climate, price is top of mind with 60 percent of adults noting its importance when eating out for lunch.
- Environmental issues are at the forefront of the consumer psyche, with close to half of adults choosing restaurants that are earth-conscious (47 percent).
- With a desire to provide consumers with an unparalleled lunchtime experience, Quiznos is showcasing a revitalized dÃ©cor in its restaurants (approximately 1,100 restaurants remodeled to date and over 1,000 restaurants to be remodeled over the next 12 months). The redesigned Quiznos features brightly-hued modern design elements in green, purple, red and orange that reflect Quiznos' colorful image and energy, while also creating a fun and engaging atmosphere for you to enjoy your meal.
- Quiznos is constantly reinventing its menu to include a range of new subs, Sammies, soups and salads. In addition, Quiznos has increased lunch portability with Toasty Torpedoes and introduced affordable offerings such as Kidz Eat Free (one free Kidz meal with purchase of adult entrÃ©e for a limited time), Choose 2 for $5 and Everyday Value Large Deli Subs for $5.
- Quiznos is also committed to becoming a proponent for smart eating and the environment. Quiznos now offers more than 15 menu items that are less than 500 calories and recently launched its national "Eat Toasty, Be Green" campaign, introducing more environmentally-friendly uniforms and packaging, including napkins, cups, salad bowls and lids.
How will Quiznos' innovation impact the future of the QSR industry?
- As consumers are exposed to more flavors and taste profiles than ever before, other QSRs are going to have to adapt to today's sophisticated consumer palette and marry the premium ingredients, creative combinations and international flavors found in formal dining establishments with the value we've all come to expect from fast food. Quiznos will continue to meld the fine dining and casual dining worlds on its menu, showcasing high-quality, innovative products in familiar items like subs, soups and salads.
- The ongoing Quiznos restaurant redesign is just a sign of things to come. The lines between QSRs and fine dining will continue to blur not only on the menu but in the look and feel of quick service restaurants. A renewed sense of care and attention needs to be given to the aesthetic appeal of QSRs to better meet consumer demand for a quality dining experience that transcends fast food as we know it.
- "I believe one day sophisticated ingredients like prime rib steak and whole milk mozzarella cheese can no longer be the exception on QSR menus. Quiznos welcomes the opportunity to continue to innovate the lunchtime experience and excite consumer taste buds." - Rick Schaden, Quiznos CEO
- "As evidenced by the recent "Lunch Report," it's clear what consumers want -- variety, convenience and taste at a price that won't break the bank. Quiznos will continue to push the envelope while staying true to its roots and providing the best tasting, high-quality toasted sandwiches, soups, chopped salads and Sammies." - Greg MacDonald, Quiznos President
- "Quiznos is about bringing its customers tasty, high-quality food. With a commitment to real value, our new look -- coupled with ingredients like artisan breads and premium meats -- is giving people more reasons to visit Quiznos and see all that we have to offer." - Jeremy Tunstill, Quiznos Franchise Owner in Charleston, SC
Now in its 30th year, Denver-based Quiznos is a national chain designed for today's busy consumers who are looking for a tasty, freshly prepared alternative to traditional fast-food restaurants. Using mostly premium ingredients, Quiznos' nearly 4,000 restaurants offer creative, chef-inspired recipes for sandwiches, soups and salads.
CNN Money ranked toasty sub pioneer Quiznos as the No. 2 most popular franchise of the past decade in 2010. In 2009, Quiznos' Toasty Torpedoes earned a spot as one of the top 10 new product introductions from the Most Memorable New Product Launch Survey. Also in 2009, QSR Magazine ranked Quiznos No. 19 overall in its Top 50 Chains in system-wide sales. In October 2007, Quiznos was recognized for leading the QSR industry in wait time performance by the Mystery Shopping Providers Association's (MSPA) 2007 Wait Time Study. In May 2007, Zagat's consumer surveys listed Quiznos in the top 5 for Top Food, Top Facilities, Top Service and Top Overall, ahead of its direct competitors.
ABOUT THE SURVEY
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Quiznos from February 17-19, 2010, among 2,180 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.