Penn Station Subs Inks 9 Multi-Unit Deals For 62 Restaurants In 2011
Fast casual company set to enter new markets
December 13, 2011 // Franchising.com // Milford, OH - Penn Station East Coast Subs has signed nine multi-unit deals this year for a total of 62 new restaurants. The franchise agreements are for new and existing markets in Michigan, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and North Carolina. The company will open in Columbia, Mo.; Bowling Green, Ky.; Grand Rapids, Mich.; Chattanooga, Tenn.; and Lansing, Mich., for the first time next year.
- Managing owner Ben Welke will open eight restaurants in Grand Rapids, Mich., with his father, Tim, and his uncle, Tom. The Welkes currently own three Penn Station locations in Kalamazoo and are opening an additional restaurant in the Kalamazoo area next year.
- Sean Bell and Rick Marquart have signed on to open three restaurants in Columbia, Mo., which is a new market for Penn Station.
- Praveen Patel has signed a 10-unit deal for Nashville, Tenn., with managing owner Marcus Queen. Patel already owns several hotels in Nashville.
- Penn Station will enter Bowling Green, Ky., for the first time with a three-unit deal signed by Jeremy Lancaster and Steve Ford. Lancaster was previously the general manager at a Penn Station restaurant in Louisville, Ky.
- Rich Moore, who currently owns four Penn Station locations in Cleveland and Akron, has signed an agreement to open five additional stores in the Cleveland area.
- Marc Nagy signed a five-unit deal for Charlotte, N.C. They opened their first restaurant in the market in late 2011.
- Ryan and Emily Lackey currently own one Penn Station restaurant in London, Ky., and will open five restaurants in Chattanooga, Tenn. His locations will be the first for Penn Station in Chattanooga.
- Cheryl Kellogg will be the managing owner for eight new locations in Lansing and Ann Arbor, Mich. Kellogg is joined by her husband, Mark, and her brothers-in-law, Chris and Jeff. Their first location will open in Lansing next year.
- Elliott Baum and Stewart Napier have signed a 15-unit agreement for southeast Michigan. They are targeting high profile trade areas in Wayne County and parts of Oakland County.
About Penn Station
Penn Station serves a variety of hot and cold subs, as well as fresh, hand-cut French fries, hand-squeezed lemonade and chocolate chunk cookies baked fresh in the restaurant. Penn Station has more than 225 restaurants in 13 states including Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. All but two locations are franchised. Projections call for the opening of 35 restaurants in 2012 and 40 in 2013, with 325 restaurants systemwide by the end of 2013. Markets targeted for growth include Chicago, Detroit, Nashville and North and South Carolina, as well as a number of other existing markets.
Sanderson & Associates, Ltd.