New Trend in Franchising -- Flexibility, According to Kiddie Academy Domestic Franchising
Entrepreneurs Looking Beyond the Cookie Cutter Franchise Model
BALTIMORE, MD--(Marketwire - May 22, 2012) - Pursuing a franchise concept can be attractive for a variety of reasons: proven business model, layers of support and resources in place to achieve success. Entrepreneurs were once after a consistent formula -- the cookie cutter franchise. However, today's franchisees want the satisfaction of integrating their personal opinion or style into the development and future of their business.
Flexibility in franchising isn't new, says Sue Hilger, vice president of franchise development for Kiddie Academy, an educational child care franchise organization. "Flexibility used to mean the opportunity to own a business and have a better work-life balance. That idea still exists, but now, the concept has expanded to mean that a franchisor is flexible in the structure of the business."
According to Hilger, this flexibility could mean anything from input on the layout of a building to what vendors to use for marketing implementation. And sometimes a franchisor's flexibility over a competitor is the decision maker.
Look for flexibility in the following areas:
- Real Estate: Can they adapt to a variety of buildings, including free-standing, two-story, office and retail to meet the demand of your core customers? The franchisor may offer the franchisee the flexibility to lease or purchase the real estate for their business. In this industry, flexibility with real estate can go a long way to helping the franchisee enjoy financial success.
- Multi-unit Franchising: Some franchisors limit to just one location, but look for a franchisor that is flexible with multi-units and fees associated with multiple locations.
- Hours: Most companies require franchisees to spend a certain amount of time in their business, but look for a franchisor that encourages their franchisees to determine what schedule best suits their lifestyle and business.
- Background Requirements: Franchisees come from all walks of life with different expertise. Some franchisors, such as Kiddie Academy, don't require franchisees to have a background in any specific area -- education, child care, business, finance, etc. The drive to be an entrepreneur and an active member of the community are sure keys to prosperity.
- Training: Support visits, staff trainings, and annual reviews can be coordinated with the franchisee's schedule. These are conducted with the goal of ensuring that your start-up becomes an efficient and profitable business.
"When looking into a franchise opportunity, determine how much input you want to have on the development and find out how flexible the franchisor is to implementing your suggestions," Hilger suggests.
For more information on franchising with Kiddie Academy or exploring how they are flexible, please visit www.kiddieacademyfranchising.com.
About Kiddie Academy®
For more than 30 years, Kiddie Academy® has been a leader in education-based child care. The company serves families and their children ages 6 weeks to 12 years old, offering full time care, before- and after-school care and summer camp programs. Kiddie Academy's proprietary Life Essentials® curriculum, supporting programs, methods, activities and techniques help prepare children for school and for life. Kiddie Academy is using the globally recognized AdvancED accreditation system, signifying its commitment to quality education and the highest standards in child care. Kiddie Academy is an official partner of the nonprofit organization, First Book, and is dedicated to supporting children's literacy. For more information, visit www.kiddieacademy.com.
About Kiddie Academy® Franchising
Kiddie Academy Domestic Franchising is based in Maryland and has over 100 academies located in 24 states, including two company-owned locations. Approximately 70 additional academies are in development, with 15 to 20 new locations slated to open each year. For more information, visit www.kiddieacademyfranchising.com.
Vice President of Franchise Development
Kiddie Academy Domestic Franchising