Summertime is Moving Time! AIM Mail Center Store Owners Offer Movers Tips for Moving and Storage
Packaging and shipping specialists help local movers keep their belongings safe.
June 21, 2012 // Franchising.com // San Diego, CA – With summertime fast approaching and children finishing up the school year, many families are gearing up to move. Those who aren’t moving often find themselves doing a bit of summer cleaning in preparation for the new school year and the upcoming holidays.
Between 2010 and 2011, 11.6 percent of the U.S. population moved. People moved for a variety of reasons, but the most common reasons were related to employment and a desire to change communities. (US Census Bureau). Typically, nearly half of all moves occur between the beginning of May through Labor Day. (American Moving and Storage Association). With any move, it is important that one’s belongings arrive at the new location undamaged.
According to Steve Goble, Vice President of Marketing Communications at Annex Brands, Inc, the franchisor for AIM Mail Centers, proper packaging helps ensure safe transportation and storage. “Moving is extremely stressful, and the last thing you need upon moving into a new home is to find cherished possessions have been broken,” said Goble. “Proper packaging helps prevent damage and ensure that your belongings are moved and stored safely.”
Goble offered these tips for those who are moving this summer:
- Don’t reuse old boxes. Package belongings in a new box that can withstand the rigors of moving or long periods of time in storage. Old boxes may collapse, causing their contents to spill out and become damaged or lost.
- One size does not fit all. It is necessary to use different sizes of moving boxes to pack items of different sizes and weights. Use smaller boxes for heavier items and remember to pack each box with the heaviest items at the bottom.
- Professional packing tape is a must. Masking tape and duct tape aren’t strong enough to support fully packed boxes.
- Use the “H” taping method. Apply tape evenly across flaps and seams of the box, making an “H” shape. Don’t forget to tape the bottom of boxes too. Taping the bottom of boxes before filling them prevents the contents from spilling out the bottom during the move.
- Leave no empty spaces. Boxes should be completely filled or they may get crushed or dented during the move. Under-packed boxes may collapse, while over-packed boxes can break open, damaging belongings.
“Bubble wrap and foam ‘peanuts’ are better than crumpled newspaper for keeping packaged belongings safe,” Goble added. These packing materials are excellent for filling in loose spaces to prevent boxes from caving in and spilling their contents. To prevent items from getting sliced when the box is opened, put a layer of packing material over the top of items before taping the box closed.
At participating locations, for customers who mention this article, AIM Mail Center store owners are giving away a free 12x12x12 box. “We want to invite members of our community to visit a participating location, pick up their free box, and ask about the best ways to keep their belongings safe during a move,” continued Goble.
Goble also wants to encourage business owners and residents to bring packing peanuts and bubble wrap to their nearest AIM Mail Center location for recycling. This keeps these materials out of landfills and reduces the environmental and resource impact of creating more packing materials.
AIM Mail Center locations are a one-stop support center for packaging, postal and office supply needs. For more tips on packaging items and recycling materials this summer season, visit one of the participating AIM Mail Center locations:
- AIM Mail Center #19 located at 32565 Golden Lantern, Dana Point, CA 92629, who can be reached at ((949) 443-1192
- AIM Mail Center # 98 located at 2701 Harbor Blvd, Costa Mesa, CA, 92626, who can be reached at (714) 437-7607
About AIM Mail Centers
AIM Mail Centers is a member of the Annex Brands franchise network. Its locations offer one-stop support for packaging, shipping and office supply needs. Founded in 1985 in San Diego, Annex Brands has more than 425 locations operating in 41 states across the U.S. and into Canada. All AIM Mail Center locations are independently owned and operated by licensed franchisees. For more information on the company’s services or for franchise information, visit www.AnnexBrands.com.
About Annex Brands
Annex Brands, Inc., formerly known as Postal Annex, Inc., was founded by Jack and Martha (Marty) Lentz in 1985 and is headquartered in San Diego. There are five brands in the Annex Brands franchise family: PostalAnnex+, AIM Mail Center, Navis Pack & Ship, Handle With Care Packaging Store and Sunshine Pack & Ship. All together, there are more than 425 locations across 41 states and into Canada. Each location is an individually owned and operated franchise. Its retail locations offer a one-stop support center for packaging, shipping, postal and office supply needs, including the ability to compare shipping rates with UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS shipping. The commercial locations provide custom packaging and shipping solutions for larger and more valuable items. For more information on the company’s history, services and franchise information, visit www.AnnexBrands.com.