Comfort Keepers® Caregivers Rise to the Challenge of Hurricane Sandy
DAYTON, Ohio - November 13, 2012 - (BUSINESS WIRE) - The impact of Hurricane Sandy has been particularly difficult for seniors in affected areas. Local Northeast-area Comfort Keepers offices, leading providers of in-home care to seniors, have responded quickly and in the face of personal challenges during the aftermath of Sandy.
Many area seniors have family living out of state or have no family. Comfort Keepers® caregivers are their lifeline and the first call in any crisis. Naturally, a weather emergency like Hurricane Sandy created a crisis situation for these seniors.
“It’s important to remember that our seniors are among the most vulnerable at a time like this,” said Mary Bowman, Executive Vice President of Marketing & Communications for CK Franchising, Inc. “Comfort Keepers caregivers responded quickly to meet the needs of their clients, even though they may have had their own issues to deal with following the storm.”
Comfort Keepers caregivers provided care in several ways:
- One caregiver climbed 17 floors to reach an elderly client whose family (living a state away) was frantic and had not heard from him
- Many caregivers are staying with seniors around the clock or leaving their own families at home without power to stay with elderly clients who are still shaken by the storm or without power
- Several caregivers braved long lines for gas to be able to keep traveling to visit their senior clients
- Two caregivers without power at home have driven all over the area delivering food and water to clients for several days
- Another caregiver took her clients shopping for food and bottled water on the day before the storm
- One caregiver reported for a normal shift and ended up staying by her clients’ side for a week due to the storm. She made sure they had food, and neighbors provided other necessities like water.
- For seniors who lost power, the lack of heat and a warm environment presents genuine health issues, such as pneumonia. Some caregivers stayed with their senior clients to keep fires going.
“A crisis like this reminds us how important it is to be prepared. Have a plan for communication and make sure the seniors in your family will be cared for in the event of an emergency,” added Bowman.
About Comfort Keepers
Comfort Keepers is a leading franchise network in the in-home care market for seniors and other adults needing care. Since its founding in 1998, the company has grown to more than 700 franchised locations around the world by staying true to the founders' goal of providing in-home care services that allow clients the opportunity to age in place. In August of 2009, the brand was strengthened even further by the purchase of the franchisor, CK Franchising, Inc., by Sodexo, one of the world's leading food and facilities management services companies and the global leader in the health care and seniors markets. For more information, visit www.comfortkeepers.com.
For Comfort Keepers
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances