State Winners In Southwest Region For Wendy's® High School Heisman® Announced
Exceptional High School Seniors Advance One Step Closer to National Honors
DUBLIN, Ohio - Nov. 4, 2013 // PRNewswire // - Wendy's® High School Heisman® honored outstanding high school seniors with the distinguished recognition of State Winner in the states of the Southwest region. States of the Southwest region include: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. These recognized students will now advance to compete for the national award that celebrates their hard work, dedication in athletics, academics and community leadership.
"State Winners are exceptional examples of well-rounded students who excel academically, lead and serve others with the passion and persistence of a Heisman winner," said Archie Griffin, two-time collegiate Heisman Trophy winner. "While these students are recognized as leaders in their communities, the Wendy's High School Heisman award gives them the national recognition their achievements have earned."
The Wendy's High School Heisman, now in its 20th year, is awarded in conjunction with the collegiate Heisman. The award has set the standard for high school student-athletes and has gained tremendous prestige among universities and colleges nationwide.
The selected 2013 State Winners were chosen from 48,000 applicants, surviving rounds that narrowed contenders to one male and one female winner from each school, and then to each state's respected group of 20 State Finalists.
Southwest Region's Wendy's High School Heisman State Winners:
- Emily Hartley, Female, Susitna Valley High School, Talkeetna
- Liam Juhl, Male, Tri-Valley School, Healy
- Tyrza Van Horn, Female, Coolidge High School, Coolidge
- Hector Gonzalez, Male, Dysart High School, El Mirage
- Marisa Pia Kwiatkowski, Female, Adrian C. Wilcox High School, Sunnyvale
- Kia Dargahi, Male, Lycee International De Los Angeles, Calabasas
- Natalie Anderson, Female, Hotchkiss High School, Hotchkiss
- Ayodeji Sanusi, Male, Vista PEAK 9-12 Preparatory, Aurora
- Norlyn Cabonce, Female, Lanai City High School, Lanai City
- Joie Rhon Cascayan, Male, W. R. Farrington High School, Honolulu
- Delaney Sauer, Female, Capital High School, Boise
- Kade Kress, Male, Hagerman High School, Hagerman
- Ryan Vicek, Female, Alberton High School, Alberton
- Zachary Molyneaux, Male, Chinook High School, Chinook
- Moriah Maluotoga, Female, Edward C. Reed High School, Sparks
- Zachary Surmacz, Male, West Career and Technical Academy, Las Vegas
- Bliss Campbell, Female, Farmington High School, Farmington
- Joshua Miller, Male, Carlsbad High School, Carlsbad
- Briana Kuestersteffen, Female, Norman High School North, Norman
- Landon Nault, Male, Kingfisher High School, Kingfisher
- Amy Edison, Female, Enterprise High School, Enterprise
- Joseph Palmisano, Male, Reynolds High School, Portland
- Hefzi Jimenez, Female, Presbyterian Pan American School, Kingsville
- Alex Cruz, Male, United High School, Laredo
- Sarah Feeny, Female, Ogden Senior High School, Ogden
- Zachary Dawe, Male, Pleasant Grove High School, Pleasant Grove
- Kayla Grigg, Female, Moses Lake Senior High School, Moses Lake
- Justin Graham, Male, Tumwater High School, Tumwater
- Lydia Skalberg, Female, Little Snake River Valley School, Baggs
- Seth Bennett, Male, Meeteetse High School, Meeteetse
These students will go on to compete against winners from other regions across the country for a chance to be named one of 12 National Finalists in Wendy's annual quest to find the nation's top scholar-athletes. These 12 outstanding students will go on to compete for the National Winner title in New York City on December 13. National Finalists will be featured during a televised ceremony on ESPN® networks and will receive gold medals and $2,000 awards for their high schools. One male and one female National Winner will each receive a crystal Wendy's High School Heisman trophy, a $500 Wendy's gift card, and a donation from Wendy's in the amount of $10,000 to their respective high school. Additionally, the winners will be recognized during the collegiate Heisman Trophy announcement on December 14.
For more information about the High School Heisman program and to view all the state winners and finalists, visit www.WendysHeisman.com.
About the Wendy's High School Heisman Program
Created in 1994 by Wendy's and the Heisman Memorial Trust, the Wendy's High School Heisman Award recognizes outstanding high-school seniors nationwide who excel in athletics, academics and in the community. Students can nominate themselves for the award online, in addition to being recommended by principals, teachers, guidance counselors and coaches. The most exceptional students are then selected to advance during extensive judging processes conducted at both state and national levels.
About The Wendy's Company
The Wendy's Company is the world's third largest quick-service hamburger company. The Wendy's system includes more than 6,500 franchise and Company restaurants in the United States and 27 countries and U.S. territories worldwide. For more information, visit www.aboutwendys.com or www.wendys.com.
Ketchum Public Relations
NOTE: For a list of your state winners' achievements or to find out more about the program, please call Janna Chapman at (404) 879-9159.
The Wendy's name and design, and the Wendy's High School Heisman and design are trademarks of Oldemark LLC and are licensed to Wendy's International, Inc. The Heisman name and Heisman Trophy statuette are registered trademarks of the Heisman Trophy Trust, used with permission.
SOURCE The Wendy's Company
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances
- Business Services
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Financial Services
- Franchise Consultants
- Health and Wellness
- Home Services
- Moving and Storage
- Senior Care
- Service Brands
- Small Business