Seamlessly Mixing Old Loves and New Elements Into Your Home
National Interior Decorator Shares Tips for Blending Personal, Reclaimed Elements Into Your Home's Style
SOUTHBURY, CT - (Marketwired - Nov 18, 2013) - Some people enjoy the look and feel of sleek modern furniture, while others try to keep to the classics; however, no home is just one singular style. Every house is a blend of old, new and re-purposed furniture that all comes together to make a home reflect you.
Decor&You, one of America's leading, full-service interior decorating franchises, understands that some pieces of a home are more than decoration, and aims to coach people on how to seamlessly blend all elements together into a trendy, cohesive space.
"When loved ones pass and leave belongings or when young kids come home with art projects, we want to display those elements with pride," said Karen Powell, founder and CEO of Decor&You. "The difficulty comes when homeowners try integrating two different styles into one space. People want to keep sentimental items out in the open, but oftentimes they end up hiding them in basements or in storage cabinets as a last resort."
Decor&You shares the following tips on how to blend old and new items together to make one unified style:
- Reupholster vintage furniture: That sofa or chair you sat on as a child has now found its place in your home. An easy way to make the furniture look new again is to reupholster the item, or buy a new slip cover. Determine which room you would like to put the reclaimed furniture in, and then use the design cues from that room to determine a new color for the piece. The item will look completely new, and adding a few throw pillows will also help the piece look updated.
- Organize art: Not all artwork costs thousands. Paintings by children can liven a room and add color to a more muted space. Unfortunately, most art work is hidden under beds or in drawers instead of taking center stage. One way to display the artwork, while still keeping in sync with the style of the home, is to frame the drawing in a unique way that compliments the room. For instance, if the piece includes bright colors, frame it and use it as wall-art to help enliven a muted room. In the kitchen, use a fork and knife frame that shows off your child's rendition of spaghetti.
- Color matters: No matter which element is introduced to a room, color matters. Whether that means using an antique item to add a pop of color to a room, or changing the hue of an older item to fit in with the current theme. All items can fit into a room perfectly, as long as the color does not completely clash with the current décor. Looking to find a home for an old flower pot from your grandmother that is a beautiful teal blue? Add it to your yellow bathroom as an unexpected pop of color.
- Restore and re-use: An old cabinet or table can look tired when the paint is chipped and the color is dull. Restore old furniture items by sanding them down and applying a fresh coat of paint. To add an even more modern twist, add an element of texture by adding a touch of glitter to the paint, or finishing the revamp with a bead, shell or button design.
With professional interior decorators who furnish and refine homes and businesses in 20 states, the Decor&You vision is to make it easy for people to achieve comfort, style and enhanced value when they invest in their interiors. Decor&You decorating experts use the company's proven StylePrint® Design System to create a seamless process from design to execution for its customers. From color plans to furniture selection and purchase to managing the installation, Decor&You ensures a worry-free makeover process for every client.
For more information about Decor&You decorating services, visit the Decor&You company website at http://www.decorandyou.com.
Established in 1998, Decor & You, Inc. (Decor) furnishes and refines America's residential and commercial interiors through a nationwide network of professional interior decorators, who make it easy for people to achieve comfort, style, and enhanced value in their homes and businesses. Decor decorating experts use the company's proven StylePrint® Design System to create a seamless process from design to execution to ensure a worry-free makeover process for every client. A socially conscience company, Decor also advocates for change in the decorating industry, with a focus on bringing safer, higher-quality and greener decorating options to American homes. Decor was honored recently by The World Franchising Network as one of its top 100 businesses in the services sector; by Entrepreneur Magazine as a top home-based franchise and No. 446 in the 2012 Franchise 500 rankings; and by RedHotFranchise.com as No. 47 on its top 100 Hottest Franchise list. For more information on Decor&You, go to www.decorandyou.com.
Decor&You® is a registered trademark of Powell Investors Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
Fishman Public Relations
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances