Slapfish introduces Black Cod Ramen Burrito during National Seafood Month in October
In honor of National Seafood Month, Chef Andrew Gruel shares Sustainable Specials and his Top Reasons to Love Sustainable Seafood
October 10, 2014 // Franchising.com // Huntington Beach, CA – Sustainable seafood expert and Slapfish Founder, Chef Andrew Gruel - currently starring as a guest judge on Food Network's Food Truck Face Off - celebrates National Seafood Month by emphasizing his unwavering commitment to sustainable seafood with sustainalicious specials at his Huntington Beach and Laguna Beach restaurants.
During the month of October, guests will be able experience Chef Gruel's innovative approach to fresh, responsibly sourced seafood in a series of weekly specials, including Spiced Swordfish "Pitarito" (October 6-11); California Rockfish, Shrimp and Chickpea Stew (October 12-18); The Ultimate Striped Sea Bass Taco (October 19-25); and culminating with the much-anticipated Black Cod Ramen Burrito (October 26-31).
In honor of National Seafood Month, Chef Gruel also shares his top reasons to love seafood:
- Seafood makes you smarter - Scientists have discovered that eating food rich in omega-3, specifically found in seafood, boosts blood flow to the brain and improves its performance during mental tasks.
- Seafood is Sexy! - In the stage of seduction, aphrodisiacs, like seafood, can help trigger the release of hormones, such as testosterone, providing a quick energy boost, increasing blood flow to get the body "in the mood" for love.
- Seafood fries like butter - Wrapped in a perfect batter, fried seafood is one of the world's most crave-worthy delicacies.
- Seafood replenishes itself naturally - When managed properly we can take an allotted amount of one seafood species from the ocean and still have that same species reproduce for generations.
- Diversity - There are plenty of different fish in the sea. Unlike chicken or beef, the diverse population of seafood allows for an ever-changing plate.
- Sushi - Enough said!
- You can catch it yourself - Try catching a chicken or a cow.
- Shopping for seafood is an adventure - Going to an abundant fish market is akin to visiting an aquarium. Think Pike's Place Market.
- It's a meeting place for "vegetarians" and carnivores - "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat seafood."
Seafood Specials can be found at Slapfish in Huntington Beach (19696 Beach Blvd., in the Newland Center at Adams), and in Laguna Beach (211 Broadway Street, across from Main Beach at PCH). For more information, visit www.slapfishrestaurant.com.
Orange County is home to Slapfish, a modern seafood shack founded by Chef Andrew Gruel. At its core, the noted food truck-turned-restaurant presents a real American seafood experience that revolves around fresh, sustainable fish, prepared simply, but delivering big flavors. His ocean-fresh menu emphasizes bib-worthy dishes and bold flavors, with seafood sourced from well-managed suppliers of eco-friendly seafood. Chef Gruel grew up fishing, surfing, and ultimately making a living with the ocean as a seafood-loving Chef. His goal at Slapfish is to change the way people think about and choose their seafood. He has made it his mission to get people to eat more seafood, but eat the right types of seafood, by emphasizing that sustainable tastes better. Slapfish works closely with multiple organizations to ensure that they are utilizing the most current data on over-fishing, harmful fishing practices and responsible fish farming. His partnerships with the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA, and Seafood for the Future, allow them to source the highest quality, healthiest seafood.
With Chef Gruel as a spokesperson for sustainable seafood practices, Slapfish separates itself on the county's culinary landscape by empowering the community with fresh and responsibly sourced offerings. Chef Gruel has also gained a fan club across the U.S., by serving as a judge on The Cooking Channel's Food Truck Face Off. He also has a Food Network show in production for release in 2014. The Slapfish menu is reviewed by a team of experts and scientists in conservation and marine biology at the Aquarium of the Pacific's sustainable seafood program, Seafood for the Future. Chef Gruel's menu revolves around a variety of daily and seasonally changing features, including Chowder Fries, Clobster Cakes, East Coast Style Lobster Roll, Award-Winning Fish and Chips, Baja Fish Tacos, and Lobster Toast. Since opening its first restaurant location in 2012, Slapfish has created a distinct brand that revolves around "boat-to-plate" cuisine in a casual, relaxed setting. The brand is poised to grow to additional locations in the upcoming year.
Slapfish has locations in Huntington Beach, California (19696 Beach Blvd., in the Newland Center at Adams), and Laguna Beach (211 Broadway Street, across from Main Beach at PCH). Additional locations are set to open across the U.S. and the Middle East.
Learn more about franchising opportunities with Slapfish
+1 818 749 1931
+1 949 690 1531