DineEquity, Inc. Reports Successful Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2015 Year-Over-Year Results
Company Provides Financial Guidance for Fiscal 2016
Fourth Quarter 2015 Highlights
- Adjusted EPS (Non-GAAP) of $1.59, a 37% increase over the fourth quarter of 2014
- GAAP EPS of $1.35 compares to a net loss per share of $1.18 due to one-time items related to the securitization refinancing in the fourth quarter of 2014
- Domestic system-wide comparable same-restaurant sales increased 1.4% at IHOP and declined 2.5% at Applebee's
Fiscal 2015 Highlights
- Adjusted EPS (Non-GAAP) of $6.19, a 31% increase over fiscal 2014
- GAAP EPS of $5.52 compares to $1.90 for fiscal 2014
- Domestic system-wide comparable same-restaurant sales increased 4.5% at IHOP and increased 0.2% at Applebee's
- Generated strong free cash flow of $142 million
- Returned approximately $136 million to shareholders in share repurchases and quarterly cash dividends combined
GLENDALE, Calif. - Feb. 24, 2016 // PRNewswire // - DineEquity, Inc. (NYSE: DIN), the parent company of Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar® and IHOP® restaurants, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and full year of fiscal 2015.
"Our latest fiscal year was highlighted by several notable achievements. We reported significant growth in adjusted earnings per diluted share, implemented strategic initiatives to accelerate growth across both brands and substantially expanded the international pipeline for longer term restaurant development," said Julia A. Stewart, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of DineEquity, Inc.
Ms. Stewart concluded, "We are building on our foundational accomplishments in 2015 and taking bolder steps to improve performance. DineEquity and its franchisees are making significant investments in important initiatives to drive sales and traffic at both brands."
Fourth Quarter of Fiscal 2015 Financial Highlights
- Adjusted net income available to common stockholders was $29.5 million, or adjusted earnings per diluted share of $1.59, for the fourth quarter of 2015. This compares to $21.9 million, or adjusted earnings per diluted share of $1.16, for the same period of 2014. The increase in adjusted net income was mainly due to higher gross profit, including the positive effect of the 53rd calendar week in fiscal 2015. The increase was partially offset by higher income taxes. (See "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below.)
- GAAP net income available to common stockholders was $25.0 million for the fourth quarter of 2015, or earnings per diluted share of $1.35. This compares to a GAAP net loss available to common stockholders of $22.1 million, or a net loss per share of $1.18, for the fourth quarter of 2014. The increase was mainly due to a loss on the extinguishment of debt in the fourth quarter of 2014 that did not recur in the fourth quarter of 2015, higher gross profit, including the positive effect of the 53rd calendar week in fiscal 2015, and a decline in interest expense. The increase was partially offset by higher income tax expense.
Fiscal 2015 Financial Highlights
- Adjusted net income available to common stockholders was $116.1 million, or adjusted earnings per diluted share of $6.19, for fiscal 2015. This compares to $89.6 million, or adjusted earnings per diluted share of $4.73, for fiscal 2014. The increase in adjusted net income was primarily due to a significant decline in cash interest expense and higher gross profit, including the positive effect of the 53rd calendar week in fiscal 2015. The increase was partially offset by higher income taxes and an increase in general and administrative expenses. (See "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below.)
- GAAP net income available to common stockholders was $103.5 million for fiscal 2015, or earnings per diluted share of $5.52. This compares to net income available to common stockholders of $35.9 million, or earnings per diluted share of$1.90, for fiscal 2014. The increase was primarily due to a loss on the extinguishment of debt in the fourth quarter of 2014 that did not recur in the fourth quarter of 2015, a significant decline in interest expense and higher gross profit, including the positive effect of the 53rd calendar week in fiscal 2015. The increase was partially offset by higher income tax expense and an increase in general and administrative expenses. The increase in general and administrative expenses was primarily due to $5.9 million of costs associated with the strategic consolidation of our restaurant support center announced on September 3, 2015.
In fiscal 2015, cash flows from operating activities were $135.5 million compared to $118.5 million in fiscal 2014. Free cash flow was $142.3 million compared to $120.9 million in fiscal 2014. The increase in cash flows from operating activities was mainly due to lower interest expense, higher gross profit and a favorable swing in working capital primarily resulting from the timing of collections of gift card receivables due to the 53rd calendar week in fiscal 2015. (See "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below.)
Same-Restaurant Sales Performance
Fourth Quarter of Fiscal 2015
- IHOP's domestic system-wide comparable same restaurant sales increased 1.4% for the fourth quarter of 2015.
- Applebee's domestic system-wide comparable same-restaurant sales declined 2.5% for the fourth quarter of 2015.
- IHOP's domestic system-wide comparable same restaurant sales increased 4.5% for fiscal 2015.
- Applebee's domestic system-wide comparable same-restaurant sales increased 0.2% for fiscal 2015.
Financial Performance Guidance for Fiscal 2016
- Applebee's domestic system-wide same-restaurant sales performance is expected to range between negative 2.0% and positive 2.0%.
- IHOP's domestic system-wide same-restaurant sales performance is expected to range between positive 1.0% and positive 4.0%.
- Applebee's franchisees are projected to develop between 35 and 45 new restaurants, the majority of which are expected to be domestic openings.
- IHOP franchisees and its area licensee are projected to develop between 60 and 70 restaurants, the majority of which are expected to be domestic openings.
- Franchise segment profit is expected to be between $345 million and $360 million.
- Rental and Financing segments are expected to generate roughly $40 million in combined profit.
- General and administrative expenses are expected to range between $154 million and $158 million, including non-cash stock-based compensation expense and depreciation of approximately $20 million. This amount includes approximately$4 million of non-recurring costs related to our restaurant support center consolidation.
- Interest expense is expected to be approximately $62 million. Approximately $3 million is projected to be non-cash interest expense.
- Weighted average diluted shares outstanding are expected to be approximately 18.5 million shares.
- The income tax rate is expected to be approximately 37%.
- Cash flow provided by operating activities is expected to range between $115 million and $125 million.
- Capital expenditures are projected to be roughly $8 million.
- Free cash flow (See "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below) is projected to range between $116 million and $126 million. Our guidance reflects non-recurring tax payments totaling approximately $10 million related to deferred gains from the repurchase of our debt, primarily in 2008 and 2009, approximately $6 million in cash payments related to our restaurant support center consolidation and the impact of fiscal 2016 containing 52 weeks compared to 53 weeks in fiscal 2015, taking into account the effects to working capital, including gift card receivables 2015, taking into account the effects to working capital, including gift card receivables.
2016 Financial Performance Guidance Table
Cash flows from operations
$115 - 125
Approximate net receipts from notes and equipment contracts receivable
Approximate capital expenditures
Free cash flow
$116 - 126
Investor Conference Call Today
DineEquity will host a conference call to discuss its results on the same day at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time/ 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time. To participate on the call, please dial (888) 771-4371 and reference passcode 41776827. International callers, please dial (847) 585-4405 and reference passcode 41776827.
A live webcast of the call will be available at www.dineequity.com, and may be accessed by visiting Calls & Presentations on the site's Investors section. Participants should allow approximately ten minutes prior to the call's start time to visit the site and download any streaming media software needed to listen to the webcast. A telephonic replay of the call may be accessed from 10:30 a.m. Pacific Time on February 24, 2016 through 8:59 p.m. Pacific Time on March 2, 2016 by dialing (888) 843-7419 and referencing passcode 41776827#. International callers, please dial (630) 652-3042 and reference passcode 41776827#. An online archive of the webcast will also be available on the Investors section of DineEquity's website.
About DineEquity, Inc.
Based in Glendale, California, DineEquity, Inc., through its subsidiaries, franchises restaurants under the Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar brand and franchises and operates restaurants under the IHOP brand. With more than 3,600 restaurants combined in 20 countries, and nearly 400 franchisees, DineEquity is one of the largest full-service restaurant companies in the world. For more information on DineEquity, visit www.dineequity.com.
Statements contained in this press release may constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. You can identify these forward-looking statements by words such as "may," "will," "should," "expect," "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "intend," "plan" and other similar expressions. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors, which may cause actual results to be materially different from those expressed or implied in such statements. These factors include, but are not limited to: the effect of general economic conditions; the Company's indebtedness; risk of future impairment charges; trading volatility and the price of the Company's common stock; the Company's results in any given period differing from guidance provided to the public; the highly competitive nature of the restaurant business; the Company's business strategy failing to achieve anticipated results; risks associated with the restaurant industry; risks associated with locations of current and future restaurants; rising costs for food commodities and utilities; shortages or interruptions in the supply or delivery of food; ineffective marketing and guest relationship initiatives and use of social media; changing health or dietary preferences; our engagement in business in foreign markets; harm to our brands' reputation; litigation; fourth-party claims with respect to intellectual property assets; environmental liability; liability relating to employees; failure to comply with applicable laws and regulations; failure to effectively implement restaurant development plans; our dependence upon our franchisees; concentration of Applebee's franchised restaurants in a limited number of franchisees; credit risk from IHOP franchisees operating under our previous business model; termination or non-renewal of franchise agreements; franchisees breaching their franchise agreements; insolvency proceedings involving franchisees; changes in the number and quality of franchisees; inability of franchisees to fund capital expenditures; heavy dependence on information technology; the occurrence of cyber incidents or a deficiency in our cybersecurity; failure to execute on a business continuity plan; inability to attract and retain talented employees; risks associated with retail brand initiatives; failure of our internal controls; and other factors discussed from time to time in the Company's Annual and Quarterly Reports on Forms 10-K and 10-Q and in the Company's other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements contained in this release are made as of the date hereof and the Company assumes no obligation to update or supplement any forward-looking statements.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This news release includes references to the Company's non-GAAP financial measures "adjusted net income available to common stockholders (adjusted EPS)," "free cash flow," and "segment EBITDA." "Adjusted EPS" is computed for a given period by deducting from net income or loss available to common stockholders for such period the effect of any closure and impairment charges, any gain or loss related to debt extinguishment, any intangible asset amortization, any non-cash interest expense, and any gain or loss related to the disposition of assets. This is presented on an aggregate basis and a per share (diluted) basis. "Free cash flow" for a given period is defined as cash provided by operating activities, plus net receipts from notes and equipment contracts receivable, less capital expenditures. "Segment EBITDA" for a given period is defined as gross profit plus depreciation and amortization as well as interest charges related to the segment. Management utilizes free cash flow to determine the amount of cash remaining for general corporate and strategic purposes and for the return of cash to stockholders pursuant to our capital allocation strategy, after the receipts from notes and equipment contracts receivable, and the funding of operating activities, capital expenditures and debt service. Management believes this information is helpful to investors to determine the Company's adherence to debt covenants and the Company's cash available for these purposes. Adjusted EPS, free cash flow and segment EBITDA are supplemental non-GAAP financial measures and should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for measures of performance prepared in accordance withUnited States generally accepted accounting principles.
For full spreadsheet please go to: [http://investors.dineequity.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=104384&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2142629].
SOURCE DineEquity, Inc.
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances