Planet Fitness, Inc. Announces Second Quarter 2018 Results
- Total Revenue Increased 31.0% to $140.6 Million
- System-Wide Same Store Sales Increased 10.2%
- 44 New Planet Fitness Stores Opened
- Download this Press Release (PDF) [http://s2.q4cdn.com/945805771/files/doc_news/Planet-Fitness-Inc-Announces-Second-Quarter-2018-Results.pdf]
HAMPTON, N.H. - Aug. 9, 2018 // PRNewswire // - Today, Planet Fitness, Inc. (NYSE:PLNT) reported financial results for its second quarter ended June 30, 2018.
Second Quarter Fiscal 2018 Highlights
- Total revenue increased from the prior year period by 31.0% to $140.6 million.
- System-wide same store sales increased 10.2%.
- Net income attributable to Planet Fitness, Inc. was $25.9 million, or $0.29 per diluted share, compared to net income attributable to Planet Fitness, Inc. of $12.4 million, or $0.16 per diluted share in the prior year period.
- Net income was $30.4 million, compared to net income of $18.0 million in the prior year period.
- Adjusted net income(1) increased 53.3% to $33.2 million, or $0.34 per diluted share, compared to $21.7 million, or $0.22 per diluted share in the prior year period.
- Adjusted EBITDA(1) increased 21.8% to $58.4 million from $47.9 million in the prior year period.
- 44 new Planet Fitness franchise stores were opened during the period, bringing system-wide total stores to 1,608 as of June 30, 2018.
(1) Adjusted net income and Adjusted EBITDA are non-GAAP measures. For reconciliations of Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted net income to U.S. GAAP ("GAAP") net income see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" accompanying this press release.
"Our second quarter results reaffirm that Planet Fitness is a high growth company," stated Chris Rondeau. "Total revenue increased over 30% with all three operating segments up double-digits, system-wide same store sales grew 10% on top of a 9% gain a year ago, and we added 44 new franchise stores to the system to surpass 1,600 stores in total. More importantly, our unique business model and recent tax reform allowed us to translate our exceptional top-line performance into an even stronger improvement in profitability. While we are very pleased with our many recent accomplishments, we believe the future is even brighter for our Company. There are numerous expansion opportunities for our high value, low cost non-intimidating fitness concept in the U.S. and internationally, we are pursuing exciting ways to enhance the member experience, and our strong cash generation and recent debt refinancing provide us with a high level of flexibility to return capital to shareholders. I am excited about our prospects for continued growth as I look ahead to the second half of 2018 and longer-term."
Operating Results for the Second Quarter Ended June 30, 2018
For the second quarter 2018, total revenue increased $33.2 million or 31.0% to $140.6 million from $107.3 million in the prior year period. $11.2 million, or 10.4% of the increase, is national advertising fund revenue and is included in our franchise segment. We began reporting national advertising fund contributions as revenue in 2018 in connection with the adoption of the new U.S. GAAP revenue recognition standard. By segment:
- Franchise segment revenue increased $20.4 million or 53.9% to $58.2 million from $37.8 million in the prior year period, which includes commission income and the above-mentioned $11.2 million of national advertising fund revenue;
- Corporate-owned stores segment revenue increased $6.0 million or 21.1% to $34.3 million from $28.3 million in the prior year period, $4.0 million of which is from six franchisee-owned stores acquired on January 1, 2018 and four corporate-owned stores opened in late 2017; and
- Equipment segment revenue increased $6.9 million or 16.8% to $48.1 million from $41.2 million in the prior year period.
System-wide same store sales increased 10.2%. By segment, franchisee-owned same store sales increased 10.4% and corporate-owned same store sales increased 5.7%.
For the second quarter of 2018, net income was $30.4 million, or $0.29 per diluted share, compared to net income of $18.0 million, or $0.16 per diluted share, in the prior year period. Adjusted net income increased 53.3% to $33.2 million, or $0.34 per diluted share, from $21.7 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, in the prior year period. Adjusted net income has been adjusted to reflect a normalized federal income tax rate of 26.3% for the current year period and 39.5% for the comparable prior year period and excludes certain non-cash and other items that we do not consider in the evaluation of ongoing operational performance (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures").
Adjusted EBITDA, which is defined as net income before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, adjusted for the impact of certain non-cash and other items that we do not consider in the evaluation of ongoing operational performance (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures"), increased 21.8% to $58.4 million from $47.9 million in the prior year period.
Segment EBITDA represents our Total Segment EBITDA broken down by the Company's reportable segments. Total Segment EBITDA is equal to EBITDA, which is defined as net income before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures").
- Franchise segment EBITDA increased $7.6 million or 23.3% to $40.0 million driven by royalties from new franchised stores opened since June 30, 2017, a higher average royalty rate and higher same store sales of 10.4%;
- Corporate-owned stores segment EBITDA increased $1.8 million or 14.2% to $14.7 million driven primarily by an increase in same store sales, higher annual fees and the addition of six franchise owned stores acquired January 1, 2018; and
- Equipment segment EBITDA increased by $1.6 million or 16.8% to $11.5 million driven by an increase in equipment sales to new stores and an increase in replacement equipment sales to existing franchisee-owned stores.
Share Repurchase Program
The Company announced that its Board of Directors approved an increase to the total amount of the share repurchase program to $500 million. The timing of the purchases and the amount of stock repurchased is subject to the Company's discretion and will depend on market and business conditions, the Company's general working capital needs, stock price, applicable legal requirements and other factors. Our ability to repurchase shares at any particular time is also subject to the terms of the indenture governing our outstanding notes. Purchases may be effected through one or more open market transactions, privately negotiated transactions, transactions structured through investment banking institutions, or a combination of the foregoing. Planet Fitness is not obligated under the program to acquire any particular amount of stock and can suspend or terminate the program at any time.
For the year ending December 31, 2018, the Company expects:
- Total revenue increase of approximately 26% as compared to the year ended December 31, 2017;
- System-wide same store sales growth in the 9% to 10% range; and
- Adjusted net income and adjusted net income per diluted share to increase approximately 33% as compared to the year ended December 31, 2017, which includes the impact of increased interest expense from the Company's recent debt refinancing.
Presentation of Financial Measures
Planet Fitness, Inc. (the "Company") was formed in March 2015 for the purpose of facilitating the initial public offering (the "IPO") and related recapitalization transactions that occurred in August 2015, and in order to carry on the business of Pla-Fit Holdings, LLC ("Pla-Fit Holdings") and its subsidiaries. As the sole managing member of Pla-Fit Holdings, the Company operates and controls all of the business and affairs of Pla-Fit Holdings, and through Pla-Fit Holdings, conducts its business. As a result, the Company consolidates Pla-Fit Holdings' financial results and reports a non-controlling interest related to the portion of Pla-Fit Holdings not owned by the Company.
The financial information presented in this press release includes non-GAAP financial measures such as EBITDA, Segment EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted net income and Adjusted net income per share, diluted to provide measures that we believe are useful to investors in evaluating the Company's performance. These non-GAAP financial measures are supplemental measures of the Company's performance that are neither required by, nor presented in accordance with GAAP. These financial measures should not be considered in isolation or as substitutes for GAAP financial measures such as net income or any other performance measures derived in accordance with, GAAP. In addition, in the future, the Company may incur expenses or charges such as those added back to calculate Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted net income and Adjusted net income per share, diluted. The Company's presentation of Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted net income and Adjusted net income per share, diluted should not be construed as an inference that the Company's future results will be unaffected by similar amounts or other unusual or nonrecurring items. See the tables at the end of this press release for a reconciliation of EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, Total Segment EBITDA, Adjusted net income, and Adjusted net income per share, diluted, to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measure.
The non-GAAP financial measures used in our full-year outlook will differ from net income and net income per share, diluted, determined in accordance with GAAP in ways similar to those described in the reconciliations at the end of this press release. We do not provide guidance for net income or net income per share, diluted, determined in accordance with GAAP or a reconciliation of guidance for Adjusted net income and Adjusted net income per share, diluted, to the most directly comparable GAAP measure because we are not able to predict with reasonable certainty the amount or nature of all items that will be included in our net income and net income per share, diluted, for the year ending December 31, 2018. These items are uncertain, depend on many factors and could have a material impact on our net income and net income per share, diluted, for the year ending December 31, 2018.
Investor Conference Call
The Company will hold a conference call at 4:30 pm (ET) on August 9, 2018 to discuss the news announced in this press release. A live webcast of the conference call will be accessible at www.planetfitness.com via the "Investor Relations" link. The webcast will be archived on the website for one year.
About Planet Fitness
Founded in 1992 in Dover, NH, Planet Fitness is one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the United States by number of members and locations. As of June 30, 2018, Planet Fitness had approximately 12.1 million members and 1,608 stores in 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, the Dominican Republic, Panama and Mexico. The Company's mission is to enhance people's lives by providing a high-quality fitness experience in a welcoming, non-intimidating environment, which we call the Judgement Free Zone®. More than 95% of Planet Fitness stores are owned and operated by independent business men and women.
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the federal securities laws, which involve risks and uncertainties. Forward-looking statements include the Company's statements with respect to expected future performance presented under the heading "2018 Outlook," those attributed to the Company's Chief Executive Officer in this press release and other statements, estimates and projections that do not relate solely to historical facts. Forward-looking statements can be identified by words such as "expect," "goal," plan," "will," "prospects," "future," "strategy" and similar references to future periods, although not all forward-looking statements include these identifying words. Forward-looking statements are not assurances of future performance. Instead, they are based only on the Company's current beliefs, expectations and assumptions regarding the future of the business, future plans and strategies, projections, anticipated events and trends, the economy and other future conditions. Because forward-looking statements relate to the future, they are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict and many of which are outside of the Company's control. Actual results and financial condition may differ materially from those indicated in the forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause our actual results to differ materially include risks and uncertainties associated with competition in the fitness industry, the Company's and franchisees' ability to attract and retain new members, changes in consumer demand, changes in equipment costs, the Company's ability to expand into new markets domestically and internationally, operating costs for the Company and franchisees generally, availability and cost of capital for franchisees, acquisition activity, developments and changes in laws and regulations, our substantial increased indebtedness as a result of our refinancing and securitization transactions and our ability to incur additional indebtedness or refinance that indebtedness in the future; our future financial performance and our ability to pay principal and interest on our indebtedness, our corporate structure and tax receivable agreements, general economic conditions and the other factors described in the Company's annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2017, and the Company's other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In light of the significant risks and uncertainties inherent in forward-looking statements, investors should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which reflect the Company's views only as of the date of this press release. Except as required by law, neither the Company nor any of its affiliates or representatives undertake any obligation to provide additional information or to correct or update any information set forth in this release, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.
To see full spreadsheet report, please go to: http://investor.planetfitness.com/investors/press-releases/press-release-details/2018/Planet-Fitness-Inc-Announces-Second-Quarter-2018-Results/default.aspx
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/planet-fitness-inc-announces-second-quarter-2018-results-300695090.html
SOURCE Planet Fitness, Inc.
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances