Jackson Hewitt(R) Celebrates Healthcare Workers With Occupation-Based Tax Savings
As Tax Deadline Nears, Company Heralds Ends of Program Focused on Job-Related Deductions for Workforce of America Participating Locations Offering Discounts for Healthcare Workers From April 11 - 14
PARSIPPANY, N.J., April 10 // PRNewswire-FirstCall // -- Healthcare workers who make an appointment with Jackson Hewitt Tax Service(R) in the days before the tax filing deadline are likely to leave with a good feeling. That's because from April 11 through April 14, participating Jackson Hewitt locations will offer a healthy discount of $25 off tax preparation services for workers in various healthcare fields. Those customers will also receive a personalized assessment of potential deductions and credits specifically related to their jobs, based on the company's proprietary Deductions@Work(R) system, our unique tool that reviews many of the most common professions in the U.S. and notes all of the credits and deductions available for each.
This celebration by Jackson Hewitt of healthcare workers follows similar two-day promotions for those in the education, food and beverage and construction areas - all intended to shine a spotlight on the numerous tax deductions specifically related to different types of employment.
"We rely on the healthcare community to keep us in good health throughout the year, but during tax season Jackson Hewitt has the remedy for taxpayers who hold these jobs," explains Mark Steber, vice president of Tax Resources, Jackson Hewitt Tax Service. "Through this promotion, we not only want to help doctors, nurses and others get all of the tax benefits available to them."
Following are some of the tax considerations for healthcare workers to keep in mind when they file:
- Many healthcare workers keep their knowledge current by subscribing to professional medical journals and publications. These subscriptions, if unreimbursed, are considered deductible.
- Malpractice insurance or insurance premiums for protection against liability or wrongful acts - often required to practice medicine - may also be considered as an occupation-related deduction for doctors and other healthcare workers.
- Other expenses that may be deductible include: professional dues; specialized equipment or tools; the cost and upkeep of uniforms if they are required for work and not suitable for everyday wear (for example, a nurse's bedside uniform and shoes that cannot be worn when off duty); and certain state or local government regulatory fees, licenses, or flat rate occupational taxes.
- Work-related education courses or seminars - such as refresher courses, courses on current developments, and vocational courses - may also be considered as deductions if they meet certain requirements. However, education qualifying an individual for a new trade or business (such as a licensed practical nurse taking classes to become a registered nurse) is not deductible.
- Student loans are often necessary to pay for the cost of education for medical workers as well as those in many other fields. Taxpayers who take out a loan to pursue studies and pay interest on that loan may be able to claim up to $2,500 of the interest as a student loan interest deduction on a tax return.
As the tax deadline approaches, Jackson Hewitt offices will be open extended hours - some until midnight and even 24-hours during the final days before April 15 - to help America's Workforce prepare and file their income tax return and capture all of the job-related deductions and credits available to them. For a partial list of occupations profiled and to review some of the most commonly overlooked deductions, visit the Tax Resource Center at http://www.jacksonhewitt.com.
About Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc.
Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc. (NYSE: JTX), with approximately 6,800 franchised and company-owned offices throughout the United States during the 2008 tax season, is an industry leader providing full service individual federal and state income tax return preparation. Most offices are independently owned and operated. The Company is based in Parsippany, New Jersey. More information may be obtained at http://www.jacksonhewitt.com. To locate the Jackson Hewitt Tax Service(R) office nearest to you, call (800) 234-1040.
SOURCE Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc.