June 17, 2009 // Franchising.com // New York, NY --- Parents magazine today revealed the exclusive findings from its first-ever 10 Best Fast-Casual Family Restaurants survey. At a time when many household budgets don't allow for meals out at sit-down restaurants and fast-food places aren't exactly known for healthy menus, "fast casual" restaurants, a hybrid of the two, are increasingly popular with families across the country. Fast-casual restaurants provide quick meals, usually made from healthier ingredients, served in a more upscale setting.
The results of the 10 Best Fast-Casual Family Restaurants survey are the culmination of a two-month study which examined 50 restaurant chains nationwide. Parents focused on honoring restaurants with a variety of healthy kids' menu offerings, family-friendly conveniences and overall value. The results of the survey will appear in the July 2009 issue of Parents magazine on newsstands nationwide June 16, 2009.
According to the Parents survey, the 10 Best Fast-Casual Restaurants are:
"These days, tight household budgets make going out to eat as a family a real treat," said Dana Points, editor-in-chief of Parents. "The ten restaurants on Parents' list are affordable, healthy and family-friendly."
Each restaurant answered a 25-question survey and submitted nutritional information for all of the items on their kids' menus. Parents then examined the calories, fat and sodium in each dish on the menu. Healthfulness and range of choices on the kids' menu made up 70% of each restaurant's score. The survey, which made up the remaining 30% of each restaurant's overall ranking, included questions about family conveniences, value promotions, and kid-friendly features.
Parents, published monthly by Meredith Corporation, has been America's #1 family magazine for more than 80 years. Since its inception in 1926, it has been a trusted source by every generation of parents. Currently, the magazine is a powerful community of 15.6 million readers devoted to supporting the efforts of parents, educators and other citizens who strive to make the world a better place for our children.
Meredith Corporation combines well-known national brands – including Better Homes and Gardens, Parents, Ladies' Home Journal, Family Circle, American Baby, Fitness and More – with local television brands in fast growing markets. Meredith is the industry leader in creating content in key consumer interest areas such as home, family, health and wellness and self-development. Meredith then uses multiple distribution platforms – including print, television, online, mobile and video – to give consumers content they desire and to deliver the messages of its marketing partners. Additionally, Meredith uses its many assets to create powerful custom marketing solutions for many of the nation's top brands and companies. In the last two years, Meredith has significantly added to its capabilities in this area through the acquisition of cutting-edge companies in areas such as online, word-of-mouth and database marketing. Meredith also licenses its popular brands to leading companies, including an extensive line of Better Homes and Gardens-branded home products available exclusively at Walmart. Meredith employs approximately 3,500 people throughout the United States, including approximately 1,000 in Des Moines and 750 in New York City. Meredith's fiscal 2008 annual revenues were $1.6 billion.