Jackson Hewitt Tax Service(R) Franchise Marks One Month Until Six Month Tax Filing Extension Deadline on October 15th
PARSIPPANY, N.J., Sept. 15 // PRNewswire // -- Taxpayers who requested more time to file a 2009 tax return need to be aware of the upcoming six-month extension deadline, according to Jackson Hewitt Tax Service®. To avoid incurring additional penalties or fees, federal and state tax returns for the 2009 tax year must be filed by Friday, October 15, 2010.
"Each year, Americans have the option to receive six additional months to submit tax information to the IRS by filing for an extension, but the deadline is quickly approaching," explains Mark Steber, chief tax officer, Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc. "Apart from those serving in the military in a designated combat zone, or those living in a federally-designated disaster area or abroad, all other taxpayers who are required to file an annual tax return must do soby October 15."
For those who received an extension from the IRS (using Form 4868), here are some tax considerations to remember:
- Know what paperwork to bring to meet with a preparer by checking Jackson Hewitt's online "What To Bring" list, available at www.jacksonhewitt.com; key items include documentation of income (such as Form W-2 or 1099), identification for you and any dependents, and total amounts paid for childcare, medical, education, business or other potential deductions.
- File electronically via IRS e-file for increased accuracy and confirmation that the IRS has received your return (at Jackson Hewitt, e-filing a return is free with paid tax preparation).
- Remember that an extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay any amount owed on a tax return; if you did not pay the amount owed by April 15, 2010, you are subject to penalties and interest charges.
- Tax balances owed can be paid with a credit card, a direct debit from your bank account, or a check made payable to the U.S. Treasury (not the IRS). Setting up an installment arrangement with the IRS may be another option.
- Keep in mind that there are two ways to file with Jackson Hewitt: by visiting a local Jackson Hewitt office or by using Jackson Hewitt Online, an easy-to-use, customized online tax preparation product.
To speak with a tax preparer or find a nearby Jackson Hewitt office, please call 1-800-234-1040 or visit the Office Locator available at www.jacksonhewitt.com. Find Jackson Hewitt on Twitter and Facebook.
About Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc.
Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc. (NYSE: JTX), with more than 6,400 franchised and company-owned offices throughout the United States during the 2010 tax season, is an industry leader providing full service individual federal and state income tax preparation. Most offices are independently owned and operated. The Company is based in Parsippany, N.J.SOURCE Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc.