Freezing Temperatures Raise Homeowner Concerns over Burst Pipes
Mr. Rooter Plumbing explains how cold weather can cause costly damage inside the home and offers tips to combat burst pipes.
(PRWEB) January 09, 2015 - Freezing weather can cause severe problems outside, but most people don’t think about the costly damage it can cause inside the home.
"Last year, the polar vortex left many homes and homeowners in dire situations," stated Mary Kennedy Thompson, president of Mr. Rooter Plumbing. "When pipes freeze, the pressure built up can cause them to burst, leading to a plumbing emergency that can cost homeowners a lot of money to repair a flooded home."
Follow these steps to ensure the home is guarded against this extreme winter weather:
- Insulate all exposed pipes with pipe insulation or thick cloth (like towels) taped around the pipes. In addition, cover outdoor faucets with insulation.
- Know where the home's main water shut-off valve is located. (Video directions)
- Let sinks and faucets run a slow drip of water - this keeps the water from freezing inside the pipes and building up the damaging pressure.
- Open kitchen cabinets and doors inside to allow indoor heat to circulate and keep the pipes warm. However, close garage doors when coming and going as this is a common way home pipes are frozen.
As the freezing weather sets in, homeowners are encouraged to take these precautions to safeguard their home against the elements. "Just a little bit of preparation," Thompson said. "That’s all it takes to save the home, and homeowner, a lot of damage and frustration."
About Mr. Rooter®
Established in 1970, Mr. Rooter is an all-franchised, full-service plumbing and drain cleaning company with approximately 300 franchises worldwide. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500" and Franchise Times Top 200, Mr. Rooter franchisees provide services to both residential and commercial customers. Mr. Rooter began franchising in 1975 and is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For more information or to find the location nearest you, please visit our web site at http://www.mrrooter.com or http://www.mrrooter.ca.
SOURCE Mr. Rooter®
Mr. Rooter LLC
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances