DC Subway(R) Restaurant Development Company Holds Charity Golf Tournament
Raises $300K in Support of American Diabetes Association
November 11, 2011 // Franchising.com // (McLean, Virginia) - The staff of McLean, Virginia based Subway Development Corporation of Washington (SDC), takes great pride in reaching goals, hitting milestones and giving back to their communities. As members of the SUBWAY Team, charity plays a big role in the culture of the world’s largest restaurant chain.
Held at the Lansdowne Golf Resort in Leesburg, Virginia, SDC recently hosted their 14th annual Charity Golf Tournament, with proceeds benefiting the American Diabetes Association. At the end of the event, a check was presented for $300,000, bringing SDC’s total charitable donations over the fourteen year period to just under $2 million. The majority of donations were raised this year from the sale of “STOP Diabetes Hands” through the hard work and support of area franchisees and Sandwich Artist’s.
2011 marks the first time that SDC has partnered with the American Diabetes Association, an organization whose focus is closely aligned with the values of the SUBWAY brand. As an added level of awareness, area SUBWAY restaurants introduced a Diabetes-friendly menu that features meal options with appropriate nutritional values for those customers suffering from diabetes.
“Our move to support the ADA just made sense. So many people already have the disease or are pre-diabetic. Subway is well known for its healthy options, but it is also important for people to know that they can get a Diabetic Friendlier Meal Choice at our restaurants that fits their dietary requirements. Our partnership was a natural one,” said David Dickerson, Vice President of Operations for SDC.
Beginning with one small restaurant across from the House of Representatives Office Building in 1977, SDC currently oversees the ongoing development and operations of more than 1,149 independently owned and operated branches of the SUBWAY submarine sandwich franchises throughout Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Opening more than 65 new locations over the past year, SDC’s team effort approach has enabled area SUBWAY franchisees to experience growth during uncertain financial times while also providing approximately 11,500 job and career opportunities to men and women throughout the region.
Setting their sights on the years to come, SDC expects their 15th annual golf tournament to yield even more for the American Diabetes Association.
About Subway Development Corporation of Washington:
With its headquarters located in McLean, Virginia, the Subway Development Corporation of Washington (SDC) supports its franchises with site selection, restaurant design, layout and construction assistance, financing, opening assistance, quality assurance, and ongoing operational support. The company also has an elected advisory board of franchisees that assist in advertising placement, product selection, and policy implementation. To find out more about the Subway Development Corporation of Washington, visit www.subwaydcw.com.
- SDC Chairman Larry Feldman, was a former Assistant General Counsel to the House Banking and Currency Committee when he opened the first DC area SUBWAY restaurant.
- Feldman knew very little about the restaurant business when he opened that first store, but he did recognize the potential of the small Connecticut-based sandwich chain that was started by a college friend, Fred DeLuca, President and Co-Founder of the SUBWAY restaurant chain.
- With that single store, Feldman was a pioneer in helping to launch the SUBWAY brand nationwide.
- SUBWAY franchisees in the SDC development territory employ more than 11,500 people.
- SDC’s expert staff of 61 support SUBWAY franchisees, throughout Washington DC, Delaware, Virginia and most of Maryland, in a wide variety of business functions such as site selection, restaurant design, construction, and ongoing operational support.
- The favorable business environment in the greater DC area has created opportunities for the SDC team to open SUBWAY locations in highly visible non-traditional settings such military bases, government office buildings, hospitals, colleges, public schools, amusement parks and airports.
- SDC’s 1,149 SUBWAY locations equates to approximately 2 million square feet of prime commercial real estate.
- This year marks the first time that SDC has been aligned with and raised funds for the American Diabetes Association.
- The donation of $300,000 to the ADA was the company’s largest in its 14 year history of working with various charitable organizations.
- SDC’s total fund raising efforts has yielded more than $1.8 million.
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Expansions & Growth
- Financial & Earnings Claims
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personnel Changes
- General Announcements
- Conferences & Events
- Product Announcements
- Media Coverage
- Strategic Alliances