What's in Your Podcast Stack? 10 franchise podcasts in a growing field
Some compelling new series have debuted in the past year on my favorite media platform: audio podcasts. As the owner and host of Social Geek Radio and the Franchise News Podcast, I love seeing the space grow and often get suggestions from friends and the franchise family about new shows I should hear.
Here’s a very brief history of podcasting in the franchise community. When I first got involved in franchising 13 years ago, podcasts were still just for tech geeks and Star Trek fans. The only person talking about franchising on a podcast was Paul Segreto on the original Franchise Today, and then BJ Emerson and Deb Evans on the original Social Geek.
Jump forward to 2022 and there are so many great choices to stream or download. I hesitate to limit this list to 10 as I don’t want to leave out some terrific content creators. But if someone were to ask, “What’s in your pod stack?” this would be my go-to list, in alphabetical order.
Note: Some of these shows are produced by me, on some I’m the announcer, some are made by good friends, and some are just things I like to listen to. What they all have in common is a lack of interest in the hosts’ egos and more focus on giving value to the listener.
- The Darwinian Times: Survival of the Nimblest from Eulerity dives deep with top franchise brand leaders to find out why they do what they do. As a bonus, check out the Limitless Leaders subseries with fast hits from multiple CEOs sharing their leadership principles.
- Franchise Growth Catalyst with Angela Coté features friendly rants and fun advice from the hardest-working woman in the franchise biz! Give this a listen and go be awesome.
- Franchise Interviews with Martin McDermott is another long-term show that still delivers fresh stories. As the “professor of podcasting” in franchising, Marty delivers compelling interviews with business owners achieving extraordinary success through franchising.
- Franchise Today with the ultimate franchising insider, Stan Friedman, explores what’s happening in the space with the newsmakers and business leaders you should follow. The show is more than 13 years old and still remains relevant.
- Franchise Voice is the newest franchise show on the list and is the first produced by the IFA. The IFA staff is offering a fresh new way to inform members about issues related to government relations and other relevant topics.
- Franchising in Focus with Richie Huffman is an ongoing business coaching session disguised as a podcast. Listen in as Richie shares nuggets that will help you grow your business.
- Her Success: The Stories of Female Franchise Leaders was created by the IFA’s Women’s Franchise Committee. Recent committee chair Michelle Rowan and many members speak with a wide range of leaders. The third season of the podcast is coming soon.
- Just Jania features Jania Bailey from FranNet. I thought I knew everybody in franchising. Nope. I know almost everybody. Jania knows everybody. I’ve been doing this a long time, and I still learn something every time I listen to her show. The IFA should offer CFE credits for subscribing to this show. I’m not joking.
- Modrn Businss with Ryan Hicks and Zack Fishman stands out as a show with guests who are not the “usual suspects.” With subseries like Millennials in Franchising, Emerging & Essential, and Technology Spotlight, this is the space where current technology meets franchising.
- So, You Want To Be a CEO? Thomas Scott is my longest-tenured friend in franchising. We met on the floor of the exhibit hall at IFA 2009! He’s been a franchisor, a franchisee, and a supplier, often at the same time, and has never been shy about sharing his views on what makes a great small-business owner. This podcast is perfect for anyone thinking about being The Boss.
There are so many others I could include, and even more are starting up each month. Are there too many podcasts? Absolutely not! With podcast listenership increasing every day, more content, diverse opinions, and new ideas are needed. Maybe you’re the next top podcaster!
Jack Monson is the consigliere at Eulerity and the owner/host of the Social Geek Radio Network. He has been helping franchisors and franchisees with digital marketing for 13 years.
Share this Feature
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Multi-Unit Franchising
- Get Started in Franchising
- Open New Units
- Featured Franchise Stories