Declaration of Extreme Leadership: Create a Written Proclamation Of Who You Are And What You Believe
A declaration is a powerful thing.
By making a declaration, you not only announce something, you proclaim it to be a true and accurate representation of who you are and what you believe in. You make a vow to anyone who reads or listens that you will abide by and live up to the words. And they can count on you for it.
Here in the US, we celebrate Independence Day, which was codified for posterity (that's us) in the Declaration of Independence.
Wherever you are in the world, and whatever tradition or history you come from, I invite you to read another declaration-a Declaration of Extreme Leadership-which you can find below.
I don't mean to suggest that this declaration rivals the other, but you may find that these words resonate with you, inspire you, and compel you to change your piece of the world for the better. And that's good enough for me.
And to take it another step, I encourage you to print it out, share it with your team, and invite them to sign it.
Then, take a group picture with the declaration and send it to me.
Not only will I share the pics on my website, but one team will win a free, private webinar or conference call with me to talk about whatever's on your mind.
A Declaration of Extreme Leadership
- We, the undersigned, have devoted ourselves-personally and professionally-to changing the world, in some way, for the better.
- We strive to use what we have-passion, talent, desire, resources, imagination, time-to make a difference, to expand the rightness of things.
- We don't consider ourselves to be naive or idealistic-although others certainly may. We are pragmatists of the highest order: we believe there is nothing more eminently practical than looking at the world, asking, "How can this be better?" and then holding ourselves personally accountable for getting it done.
- We recognize that big, broad, systemic changes need to happen in our society: policies need to shift, attitudes need to evolve, and priorities need to change--and we'll do whatever we can to contribute to those transformations over time.
- In the meantime,
- Regardless of what is or is not happening "out there", and regardless of what other people are or are not doing to change things for the better, we commit to making a difference in the way we lead TODAY.
- We are business people, educators, volunteers, friends and neighbors who share a common desire: to help each other to help each other-and we'll take a Radical Leap to do so.
- We are today's Extreme Leaders, and we invite you to join us.
Visit www.stevefarber.com to download a printable poster of The Declaration of Extreme Leadership.
Steve Farber, author of Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership, the president of Extreme Leadership, is a leadership consultant and speaker, and the author of the national bestseller The Radical Leap, and The Radical Edge, and the newly released The Radical Leap Re-Energized: Doing What You Love in the Service of People Who Love What You Do.
Share this Feature
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Multi-Unit Franchising
- Get Started in Franchising
- Open New Units