Top 5 Health and Wellness Franchise Sectors
Americans are very focused on looking and feeling better. In their pursuit to do both, they are increasingly turning to exercise, proper nutrition, supplements, massage, and more. The fact that health and wellness is big business in the U.S. has not gone unnoticed by franchisors. If you would like to help people live healthier lives, there are many franchise business models within a variety of sectors to choose from including:
- Gyms, Personal Training, and Specialty Fitness: a reported 87% of Americans say paying for the gym or fitness classes are high priority according to a My Protein survey. There are traditional gym franchises ranging from those with low monthly memberships that essentially only offer equipment to those with high monthly fees that have a more spa-like atmosphere and offer classes. In addition, there are many specialty fitness franchises that focus on Pilates, yoga, spinning, kick boxing, barre, etc., as well as personal training franchises.
- Diet and Weight Loss: The rate of American adults who are obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or greater, has continued to increase over the past decade according to a report by researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). When it comes to weight loss franchises, options include those that offer guidance in modifying eating habits or medically focused weight loss plans.
- Back and Foot Comfort: Back and foot comfort franchises are dedicated to helping customers lead pain-free lifestyles. There is a strong demand for both services. Back pain accounts for more than 264 million lost work days in one year—that’s two work days for every full-time worker in the country. 1 Nearly 8 out of 10 Americans have experienced foot pain and those who have chronic foot pain are significantly more likely to have pain in other parts of their body, according to a new survey by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA).
- Massage: Constant stress can increase the risk for long-term health issues like heart attack, weight gain, and diabetes. Massage helps counteract the negative effects of stress by lowering people’s heart rates and blood pressure and increasing the production of endorphins, which make people feel good. The demand for services massage franchises provide is increasing in conjunction with an increasing awareness of the benefits it provides.
- Health Food & Supplements: Over the past five years the health food and supplement franchise industry has grown 2.1% to $640 million in revenue according to IbisWorld, which shows that many Americans incorporate health food and supplements into their daily lives. The franchise sector consists of health food, vitamins, minerals, sports nutrition products, and weight control products.
Investing in a health and wellness franchise may just be the healthiest thing for your business future that you’ll ever do when you consider that the average American spends $155 per month on health and fitness according to My Protein’s survey, that’s $112,000 in their entire lifetime. It, however, is crucial that you carefully research any franchise you are considering investing in to help ensure you select one that is likely to meet your objectives.
1 The Hidden Impact of Musculoskeletal Disorders on Americans, United State Bone and Joint Initiative, 2018.
Share this Feature
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Multi-Unit Franchising
- Get Started in Franchising
- Open New Units
- Featured Franchise Stories
Featured Health Opportunities