International Franchise Deals Continue Across the Globe in Q1 2022
March 2022 marks the 2-year anniversary of Covid-19’s unwelcome arrival and accompanying shutdowns and restrictions. The impact of the pandemic is still highly uneven across the world, currently on the downswing in the U.S. and beginning to surge again in Europe as a new Omicron subvariant makes it presence known. As we’ve noted before, businesses around the world have learned to adapt for the most part. Many are beginning to view the pandemic much like the flu, and have learned to carry on despite.
- Burger King is experimenting with an all-vegan menu at its flagship Leicester Square restaurant in London. The market test, which runs from March 14 through April 10, is offering BK’s Plant-Based Whopper and Vegan Royale along with 23 other options –including a kids menu with junior-sized offerings. The menu also includes a vegan bacon double cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, chili cheese bites, and the newly launched Japanese-inspired Vegan Katsu Royale and the Plant-Based Katsu Chilli Whopper.
- Chuck E. Cheese is set to further expand its presence in the Caribbean by signing a new development agreement in the Dominican Republic. This follows success in Honduras and El Salvador with existing franchise partner Entretenimiento y Diversiones, owned by Leo Castellon, who owns and operates three locations in Honduras and one in El Salvador. This announcement follows a year of international growth for the U.S. brand, with development deals signed in Bahrain, Romania, Qatar, Suriname, Guyana, and Kuwait.
- Fresh Coat Painters is expanding its presence in Canada with a new location in British Columbia that will provide residential and commercial painting services in Surrey, Delta, Richmond, Westminster, Langley, and the surrounding areas. The franchisee, Oloidi Olawale is an experienced construction and remodeling professional. Originally from Nigeria, he moved to B.C. 10 years ago with his wife and two children.
- International Dairy Queen and FountainVest Partners announced plans to open 600 DQ restaurants in China by 2030. FountainVest will begin expansion by opening 100 DQ restaurants in China this year. Founded in 2007, FountainVest recently acquired CFB Group, a franchise ownership group in mainland China with more than 900 DQ restaurants. China, the fastest-growing market for the DQ brand, is among the top three in size, alongside the U.S. and Canada. There are currently more than 1,100 DQ restaurants in China.
- Pollo Campero has reported record profits for 2021. The brand, which started in Guatamala in 1971, has expanded to several other countries, including Ecuador, Spain, and the U.S., with stateside headquarters in Dallas. Worldwide, the brand has about 350 units, 82 in the U.S. Learn more about the company’s plans in this Q&A with Blas Escarcega, director of franchise development.
- Slim Chickens has announced the opening of a new restaurant in Arndale, Manchester, U.K., with the Boparan Restaurant Group. Slim Chickens has worked extensively with the group, and has opened 17 locations of the better-chicken brand across the U.K. The U.S. brand has more than 155 locations across the U.S. and U.K., with another 800 in development.
- Wayback Burgers has opened its first restaurant in Japan, starting in Tokyo. In October 2021, Wayback signed an agreement with WBBA, the publicly traded holding company of WB Burgers Japan Co., Ltd. Wayback plans to build more than 60 restaurants over the next 20 years in Japan alone, with the brand holding options for development in India, China, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and the Philippines.
Published: March 17th, 2022
Share this Feature
Comments:comments powered by Disqus
- Multi-Unit Franchising
- Get Started in Franchising
- Open New Units
- Featured Franchise Stories
Invest in a legacy brand with 40 years of experience serving up crave-able food in a fun environment. Here’s all you need to know
Main Squeeze Juice Co. was locally born in Lake Charles, Louisiana. When we realized the need for our concept across the country we decided to begin...